A Couple Comments

A Couple Comments

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Kindle, iPad, Nook or Book?


Watch our video review here, or just keep on reading...


***


Unkindled.


Andrew offered me a Kindle.  He’d already bought it, in fact, for himself, but while it was in transit he opted for the 3G version instead of the merely wireless version.  So instead of shipping the other one back or trying to hawk it on Craig’s List, he offered it to me (how kind!) still nestled in its no-hassle packaging.

Call me crazy for even thinking of turning down a gift, but I didn’t accept it right away.  I wanted to take it for a test drive to see if the e-reader craze is all it’s cracked up to be.

My assessment may surprise you.

The Kindle’s a pleasant size for holding, and has a decent weight to it, as if to suggest that I’m holding a substantial piece of equipment that’s of course worth the price paid for it. 

I like the no-glare screen, which I realize is a major plus compared to other e-readers like the Nook and the iPad.  But here’s my beef:  as gadgets move more towards touch screens, I was disappointed that this didn’t have one.  I wanted to swipe my finger to turn the page, not click a button.  And speaking of buttons, I couldn’t figure out why there were page forward AND back on both sides of the Kindle.  Why not keep it simple: Right button = Page forward and Left Button = Page Back. Having both on each side seemed silly and superfluous.

The screen, while glare-free, seemed a bit dim, and the menu had the choppy feel of a antiquated web browser.  Shopping for books wasn’t fun or engaging, and I lost interest quickly.  Give me a friendly, inviting experience that allows me to electronically enjoy a book cover’s eye appeal!  I shop for fun and I’ll spend money if I can have a good experience while doing it.  Anymore, I get bored with a merely functional piece of equipment.

I turned down Andrew’s kind offer, and in the week since I have bought three beautiful, good old-fashioned books to carry around in my backpack. 

Dear paper-bound book: I still hold a torch for you.  Love,  Sarah.

***
Amazon's New Kindle Fire




Andrew here...


My love of gadgets, words, and simplicity intrigued me to purchase a Kindle from Amazon. 

Well, truth be told, I purchased two Kindles (what’s the plural of Kindle? Kindli?).

Two? Yes. Two… 

So excited was I about all my initial research that I jumped right in and purchased the third generation Kindle WiFi with Special Offers for $114, only to realize that for about another $50 I could get lifetime 3G connections completely free. I like the word ‘free.’

Insert a healthy dose of immediate buyer’s remorse here.

What’s more, the Kindle has a fairly decent, albeit basic, browser which allows access to e-mail and other non-flash sites anywhere a 3G signal is available. So I ordered the Kindle with 3G service and they both were on their way.

Why Kindle vs. book or iPad?

1. My love of gadgets. 
Books on a shelf are lovely. Books in my hand are daunting. Fresh out of college, I was determined to finish a copy of The Brother’s Karamazov I‘d purchased at a used bookstore. I guess I supposed it would make me more of an adult or something. Heh heh.

When I had finished half the book, I saw I still had nearly three-hundred pages to go. Overwhelmed, I threw in the towel. I could blame it on my short attention span--or weak fingers--but I just don’t want to lug around a book. I want electronics. I like ‘em. They’re neat. So there. 

2. My love of words.
I don’t read nearly enough for someone who claims to love language, words, and linguistic stylings. My love of words and persistent impatience is perfect for the Kindle. When reading on the Kindle, I’m flipping pages faster than a parent reading ‘nighty-night-night-time’ stories to their four year old. The Kindle affords me the opportunity to read adult books (not that kind--don’t be dirty) with the quick page movements and attention span of a four year old reader. For some reason it tricks my brain. Works for me. 

3. My love of simplicity.
I’m an Apple fan. I’ve got a number of their toys. Which is exactly why I don’t need an iPad. Notice: I didn’t say “want an iPad.” I do want an iPad, but my obsessive-compulsive side definitely doesn’t need an iPad. What I need is focus and read, not play. The wonders of an iPad with it’s numerous apps, games, communication abilities, and Apple-hipness would not serve me well. 

I want to read. I need to read. 

So, with much restraint, I said no to the iPad. 

At least for now.

Summary...

At present, there are two Kindles in our home. I’ve offered the other one to Sarah and she’s made her decision (read her review above/below). 

I’ve owned the Kindle for nearly two weeks now and am well into three books all of which allow me the freedom and flexibility to jump seamlessly from one book to another while never losing my place, thanks to the 3G (glad I went with that version). My Kindle sits next to me right now, as I wrap up this blog post, and it’s about to be picked up. I know when I pick it up, I have one option: read. And that’s a very good thing. 

2 comments:

  1. Very fun! I would have to say that I can't help but be in love with my iPad ;) ...it does require some self control to stay on task of ONLY reading but once you get to the book the read is much more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On second thought.... I'm curious what Sarah would think about the iPad??? :)

    ReplyDelete