A Couple Comments

A Couple Comments

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cathy Rigby is Peter Pan: National Tour Theatre Review

Andrew's comments...

“I am youth. I am joy. I am freedom,” Peter (Cathy Rigby) crows as he defeats the tyrannous Captain Hook (Tom Hewitt). That line exemplifies my fascination with the story and show of Peter Pan.

We were fortunate to live close to the first stop on the 2011-2012 tour: Hershey, PA. I’d first viewed the Broadway staging exactly ten years ago. Having seen Rigby in the role three times in the last decade, I authoritatively declare that this show has something for everyone and every one should see it. So go get your tickets here.

Now that you have your tickets, here’s what you can look forward to:

Rigby. There’s multilevel magic in Rigby’s portrayal. Brash, athletic, sweet, and of course boyish, she takes us on a flight of our own. We’ve all felt the pain of growing older, yet Rigby soars circles around performers in their twenties and thirties. Like Peter, she doesn’t seem to know her age. Inspiring.

Flying. Are you kidding? I mean seriously. Here’s the deal: I’ve flown on cables before in two separate theatrical productions. Nothing comes close to what you will see when you see this show. You have tickets right? Unsure if Sarah would love the show as much as I did, I knew she was sold when I saw her teary face after Peter and the Darling children made their way to Neverland during “I’m Flying.”

Cast/Crew. Rigby and the flying cannot, of course, stand alone. If I were wearing a hat during the standing ovation, I would’ve taken it off. Standouts: Indians for their superb dancing, lighting for hiding the cables and being subtle, and stage management for starting the show on time (that’s impressive).

Enjoy it. Take your kids. And by your kids, I mean everyone.
 
Gracious enough to let us snap a picture. Thanks Ms. Rigby!
Sarah's comments...

Peter Pan.  I’d seen the Disney cartoon once (maybe twice) before I grew up, and then afterward I’d seen a clip (or two) of Cathy Rigby flying across the stage in a few choice numbers thanks to Andrew (and YouTube). 

But if Andrew hadn’t discovered that Ms. Rigby was set to fly through Hershey, I probably wouldn’t have seen it live.
Perhaps I’m just too old?  Perhaps I found that slender space where I could grow up and still make believe?  Maybe that’s why this show didn’t stir up the longing in me that it can for other adults.  I’m still very content to believe in fairies, thank you!
Still, it was clear that Andrew wanted to see it with me (I’ll leave it to him to discuss any alleged longings for his own childhood) and I was more than happy to go.  Besides, I was curious about this woman who at my mom’s age still suits up in a harness eight times a week and plays a little boy on stage.  
The grown up in me was delighted when the curtain rose precisely at 2:00pm, and the child in me lit up with the first sprinkle of fairy dust.  Always a crier, I left fitfully dehydrated, having cried (at least) three times.  
We got an autograph and a photo with Ms. Rigby.  As we kneeled beside her for the picture she said to us, “So you’re in the theatre?”  I probably blushed with both surprise and delight. I asked her how she knew, and she said, “Oh I can always tell.”
I hope I never grow up so much that I can’t slip into the wonderful world of make believe.  May a fairy never die at my expense.  Hear that, Tink?

2 comments:

  1. Living here in Branson, Tom and I were able to see her in Peter Pan quite a few times last summer and the summer before. She is indeed, quite a master of her craft. Glad you got to see her recently, when it's obvious that she's still got IT!

    Kristin Jewell Cartwright :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well worded Kristin! (Andrew here). I've always been fascinated with the story--was so fun to experience it with Sarah ;) She's an inspiration to all of us performers isn't she!

    ReplyDelete